9 October 2008

Netting

As I've got no tatting to show at the moment I'm going to show you and tell you about my adventures in netting and filet.

The reason I've been scanning my needles and meshes is because I've been talking to Teri Dusenbury about netting needles. Mine are a mixture of new (as in the 1970's) and old (bone, wood). Some of the needles shown below are very old and some are again quite 'modern'. A dear gentleman who lived in Hastings and was named Theodore Faberge made some of the needles and meshes for me. That was a loooooong time ago and I found his name in a tatting book that I bought and which had his name down on the list of suppliers.

Initially I taught myself from a very old book that I borrowed from the library. I then found patterns in old magazines and books for the filet. It was, however, the netting side that took my attention as it looks just like a spider's web when finished. Once I did combine tatting and netting in a small doily. Wonder where that is now?!?!? There's a picture of it in a book somewhere.

I remember reading an article in a Lady magazine about bobbin lace. The Lady is a very 'up market' magazine for the moneyed folks and I must've seen this in the doctor or dentist's waiting room. I remember coming home with the Lady's address and writing to them suggesting they run an article on netting. I got a letter back saying they would - if I would write it!!! The ex had got an old typewriter but I had no idea how to use it so this article was a new adventure. It eventually got published some two years later (they take their time do magazines!) and I was paid the princely sum of £8.00!

OK, tat's enough for today!! Here are the needles and meshes. I'll try to find time to photograph some of my netting which hangs in the windows instead of net curtains. Weather, shopping and gardening permitting!!!


2 comments:

Carol Schockling Lawecki said...

You have quite a collection of netting needles. Do you still have many pieces that you netted?

Jane Eborall said...

Oh, yes, I do!!!! Some are hanging in the windows at the front of the house - instead of net curtains!!! The other pieces are stashed away somewhere!!!

Creative Commons Licence

Happy Beaks

Happy Beaks
I beg your pardon? I didn't quite catch what you said.