4 January 2010

All about shuttles


Yesterday I rambled on at length about not needing shuttles to tat with and how tatting is basically manipulating the thread 'as is'.  But when making a larger item it can be useful to own the odd shuttle or 100!!!

Well, today I'm going to ramble about something dear to my heart - shuttles!!!  I started off in tat land using the Milward shuttle as that was all my gran and I could get our mucky mitts on!!!  I loved the 'dip' in it but not the separate hook which usually found it's way down the side of the chair never to be seen again!!!  I then 'progressed' onto the Aero - which I still use and also the Silent Tatter which again I like loads.  BUT I now have another shuttle.

This one is the prototype that Sally's husband is making in their garage.  I haven't told you before because it was sort of TOP SECRET but now I'm going to share my opinions of this shuttle.

Well, it's light, it's wood and it feels great.  During the design progress several improvements have been made and the latest design (which I saw and held yesterday) are really lovely to hold and use.  Nick (Sally's husband) is even making the hooks to fit in the ends!!!!  There's a lovely 'finger dip' in them too.

We've been discussing marketing them and are thinking about doing that through my Etsy shop.  When that will happen will depend totally on the temperature in the 'factory' - AKA Sally's garage!!!  You can't lock a guy in a freezing garage!!!

More to follow on this subject!!!!

16 comments:

Maureen said...

Yes you can, you can lock him in the garage!! - give him a bottle of whisky to warm him up!
How exciting, new shuttles for 2010.

Wendy said...

That's not fair, we should at least have a photo of one

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

Put me near the front of the line for one of those shuttles, please!

Sally Kerson said...

Don't know about the whisky Maureen, do you want wonkie shuttles?!!!
Wendy will show them on my blog soon, promise.
Diane - sure.
Sorry Jane this is your blog!!!! Just passing by! X

Katie said...

Ooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwww! A new shuttle maker is truly a gift from the tatting God! Can't wait to see them!

I received my first Georgia Seitz shuttle. The glorious joy of being a new tatter - I get to collect shuttles! LOL!

TAT19540 said...

I have to be put on the shuttle list also. I'm always looking for a new shuttle and I like wood! I haven't had a Milward shuttle since I was living in Australia(too many years to bring up now) and I think it went the way of the lost. I also have some Areos and I like them, but the cheap Lacis plastic shuttle seems to work the best for me. Good thing there are so many diffent shuttle in the world to choose from so we can all find at least one to make us happy! :)

Krystle said...

I agree with Wendy. Thou shalt not post such a thing without pictures.

Marty said...

New shuttles! Hooray! I want to be on that list as well. Be certain to post when they arrive in the shop.

Jane Eborall said...

There WILL be pictures - I took lots yesterday and have sent them to Sally today. As it's Sally and Nick's project I've left it for her to post them. I'll tell them to hurry themselves up too!!!! Anyway you all know I'm a tease too!!!!

IsDihara said...

2010 is shaping up to be a stellar year, judging by the start! A fractured quote has sprung to mind (apologies to Benjamin Franklin):

"Shuttles are proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

(And further proof is that my word verification is "pinted" - now that's serendipity!)

SewDanish-Scandinavian Textile Art, Unique Handmade Supplies said...

Oh, your work is so beautiful. Makes me want to start tatting and lacemaking again. My Grandmother taught me the skills back in Denmark as a child.
I'm of to have a look at your etsy shop :-)
Take care
Birgitte

Fox said...

HOOKS! There are hooks in the shuttles! This is exciting....
Fox : )

Tatteristic! said...

A new shuttle - I would love to have one and can't wait to see the pictures of them. I hope they put them up for sale soon. Let us know!

Tatfully Yours said...

Hi Jane I read about the "is tatting lace or not" and found it interesting. I believe tatting is lace and no one will change my mind. And I found the question about shuttle and needle tatting interest also. I am a needle tatter and have not had any problems with patterns written for shuttle. I once read somewhere "that shuttle tatting was done by ladies of rank who could afford the time and richly ornamented shuttles, with materials like gold, ivory and mother-of-pearl. Where needle tatting was done by working lower income ladies because needle tatting was faster and you can not put pearl on a needle...." well something like that. Very interesting and food for thought. I'm really looking forward your TIAS. I hope I can keep up!!
Happy Tatting
Kelly

connie said...

Please Please put me on the list of shuttle junkies that want one too.
I had always wanted a Milward and I lucked out and won four in an auction on ebay in original packaging.
Thank goodness for sisters with wonderful husbands, I have one of those also but my brother in law is not a woodworker.
Connie

Unknown said...

I would love a shuttle from your BIL's freezing garage! I hope you've set aside a pair for me!

Creative Commons Licence

Happy Beaks

Happy Beaks
I beg your pardon? I didn't quite catch what you said.