25 February 2011

Bookmark to brooch!!!

As I was steaming along the road towards Morrisons pulling my wheelie bin (old git's shopping thingy!) I had another visit from brain cell 3!!  My best ideas come while I'm 'on the hoof'!!!!

WHY NOT?  He yelled at me.  Why not make the bookmark idea into a brooch?  Easy - so HE thought!

Not quite as easy to do, though.  Well, you know what I'm like!!!  I NEVER stick anything onto tatting.  I never use glue to stick on beads, findings or anything.  I always include them in the work - or work them in as I go along!!!  So, of course, I wanted to tat the magnets into the design!!!  They are included in tatting as you can see on the bottom picture - that's the part that sits at the back of the clothing.  I tried to show it next to the front of the flower as well but the wretched thing kept 'escaping' on the scanner platten!!!  

In the end I gave in gracefully (not that I'm a 'graceful' sort of person) and sewed the flower onto the one covered magnet.  That won't fall off in a month of Sundays as I'm an avid 'sewer' and what I sew stays!!!!  OR ELSE!!! 

I'm wondering if these would sell in the Etsy shop.  Any thoughts?  Meantime I'm going to 'test drive' it on my coat tomorrow.  The main reason for making these is cause I like to wear motifs on my tshirts and other clothes and making different magnetic brooches will mean I'll have a choice each day of what to wear and on whatever piece of rag I choose to adorn myself with!!!  Thus a test drive on a thick coat will prove if it works - or not!!!  I'll keep you posted!!! 

Actually it would be great if those who have bought the bookmarks from my shop would comment on their thoughts on if this idea will work.  IF you think it's a 'good idea' I'll make a few more.  Anything to keep me busy!!!!

14 comments:

Riet said...

Jane, I think it would work, special as you have different ones. I want to order them. Nice presents for my friends
I wait and see

Margarets designer cards said...

Morning Jane,

Brilliant idea, yes a brooch, they will look lovely and in different colours, I think its a great idea.
Margaret

Maureen said...

So is the magnet going to be in two separate pieces? - that, I think would work; afraid I can't try it out on a thick coat since I don't possess such a garment! - but I clipped my penguin onto my shirt this afternoon and took him out and about with me - he certainly stayed put!I probably wouldn't wear him as a brooch in size 20, but in 30 or 40, he would be a fun accessory!

Bonnie said...

I love this idea. I like the button and beads with tatting. I'm looking forward to learning how the test drive goes because I'm ready to place my order now!

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

Actually, I've been wondering when you'd come out with a line of brooches...

Jane Eborall said...

Yes, Maureen - two pieces. I considered putting a thin lock chain so that the back would 'stay with' the front but decided that would limit you to what you could wear it on - like a coat with a zip. Mainly I want to wear them on summer tshirts - well, that's my plan!!!!

Carol Schockling Lawecki said...

Brilliant Jane!

This magnet is so strong it will certainly hold in place and eliminates a hole made from a normal pin backing!!

I do like how you added the beads on the join into the button, it looks great that way!!

Suztats said...

Great idea, Jane! They look fab.

Tatenup said...

Jane. YOU ARE A GENIUS!~

Anonymous said...

Brain cell No 3 is working overtime! Love the idea. Don't see the necessity of putting the second magnet on a leash (we manage to keep track of earring backs, and they are much smaller). The only possible downside would be for those who have a pacemaker installed, or tend to carry a credit card tucked inside the brassiere...:-). Off to select a shirt to wear with my bookmark for the day...

Marty said...

Wonderful idea -- just brilliant! My sister wears a pin or brooch every day (it's rather like a trademark). I know she'd love to have something that didn't put pin marks in some of her nicer things. She has a large brooch on her coat as well. I'd certainly be interested in having another option for birthday and Christmas presents.

Sally Kerson said...

I think I am going to call you "the magnet lady!" What is your attraction to them?! I am sure this is going to be a big hit and so pretty.

connie said...

I don't know how you do it but you always do.
I think of something to tell you and before I do you think of it yourself.
I was going to tell you that if you make a brooch with the magnets that you could use them to hang your reading glasses from so they don't get misplaced (or sunglasses). But,you've gone and done it and you even have a loop to slide the arm of a pair of glasses through.
Brilliant and a mind reader too,is that brain cell # three.
Love reading your blog even tho I don't comment near enough.
Connie

Ridgewoman said...

Some of the high end stores have rather large brooches that one wears on suits, jackets and dresses with a firm hand. They are quite elaborate and are composed of small trinkets, (like charms really), and sometimes measure about 3” x 2 1/2” and larger. You see them sometimes, on those who work in Embassies (Madeline Albright comes to mind). They are quite in fashion now...What made me think of them is the bead “chain” effect. Also, reminiscent of those wonderful brooches of the 30’s and 40’s that my Mom wore. Goes well with the young sets “Steampunk” styles, also. I think you are ‘on’ to something and they are very pretty. I know they hold very well because the tatted bookmark I have is really strong.

Creative Commons Licence

Happy Beaks

Happy Beaks
I beg your pardon? I didn't quite catch what you said.