20 April 2011

A looong time ago!

Selling off the leaflets last week brought back memories.  When I was young the only booklets with patterns that were easily available were the Coats and Penelope ones.  I had little choice (like most of us 'back then') on what I could make.  I used to buy them with my pocket money as a teenager.  I did actually use some of the doilies I made but wouldn't ever put one out now as I'd have to find room for them (IF I still had any!!!) in all our 'clutter'!!

Penelope book 4 on page 11 was perhaps the only doily I ever 'took to' and I remember making it many times.  I certainly must've made it in size 20 white as that was all I had available but I do remember making it in a fine silk sewing thread too - for the sake of working in colour.  Do you want to see the pattern?  Here's the picture in the booklet.


A few days later and a miracle has occurred at Chez Eborall - I found the silk doily still backed onto a piece of manilla card!!!  It must've been done about 40 years ago at a guess (certainly a looooong, looooooooong time ago!).  Not bad for it's age, eh?  Remember that I'd never seen or heard of picot gauges or blocking in those days either.  


Now I also found another doily in silk but that'll have to wait for another day!!!

15 comments:

Margarets designer cards said...

Hi Jane,

Great minds think alike, I found a piece I tatted years ago and have washed it and going to photo it later to put on my blog. Your doily looks gorgeous and thank you for sharing a piece you tatted so many years ago. Tatting has changed so much over the years and the threads we can now get is a great improvement.
Margaret

Gina said...

It's beautiful and has certainly held up well over time! It could have been tatted last week. Wow!

Tatfully Yours said...

Your doily is soo beautiful!! I love the colour! As a teen (if I were tatting then) that pattern would have looked way out my ability and even now I`m not sure if I could handle it!

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

Your doily is beautiful! It certainly doesn't look 40 years old!

Carol Schockling Lawecki said...

The doily is very pretty. I'm so glad that tatting patters have improved over the years so that it is easier to read a pattern. I know when I learned to tat over 20 years ago I was so frustrated with patterns that had mistakes in them. I was to new at tatting to realize it was a mistake until it was too late in the pattern to pick it out. Thank you very much for all the work you put into your patterns, which I always feel are so easy to follow the pattern and diagram!!

Elizabeth said...

I think it is just beautiful. I think I would even tat one like it.

Anonymous said...

Good Morning Jane,
I can see why you "took" to this doily. Done in the green thread, it is stunningly beautiful. I'll have to keep an eye out for this leaflet. Maybe one will turn up on eBay. Thanks for sharing.
Rosemarie

Fox said...

It's lovely! I can see why you wanted to tat it in that beautiful green thread. And the picots lengths in the pattern are challenging, as I see they had to be long and consistently so, particularly at certain parts, or the pattern would be too scrunched up. You did a great job - even 40 years ago you could certainly tat up a storm!
Fox : )

RandaGray said...

oh I love the green!! I actually love the shape too

Tatenup said...

that is beautiful, Jane.

IsDihara said...

Bellissima! Bellissima! Your silky green doily looks as fresh as spring dew. I see why you "took to" it -- it is a lovely round of lace indeed.

And more lovelies tomorrow? Wheee! Can't wait to see!

Sally Kerson said...

"Doily Days" - can remember them well but so pleased there are so many other patterns now. Love the colour of this one, it looks just perfect

JB said...

Wow! 40 years!!! It's beautiful. Your picots look perfect without a gage. I can't wait to see the your second doily.

Frivole said...

A great doily and I too love the colour! I hope you'll be putting it to good use now you found it again.

N. Maria said...

Beautiful! I love the color and style of this doily!

Creative Commons Licence

Happy Beaks

Happy Beaks
I beg your pardon? I didn't quite catch what you said.