8 April 2014

Finally and at LAST



So after a few more attempts at an edging (which I'm not going to bore you with) I can now show you the finished item. Now this would work for any size you care to make a doily/mat/thingie!!

I'm now at the stage of finishing off the pattern. This is a difficult one as it was inspired by a pattern in a magazine - a pretty old Italian one. You can see the original picture if you click on this link.

Let me explain. When I worked my first version it was by simply looking at the picture and then reading the numbers in the long hand written pattern. Guesswork then took place!!! I think the original is made in two rounds but you all know me and my lack of patience with sewing in ends - I immediately started with a SCMR for the centre and then used a SSSR (hiding one colour in that) to work my way out to the outer part.

Then I changed the centre completely to use rings and chains (with thrown off rings) and again using the SSSR idea and throwing in a split chain (minute!) too. Side rings were changed in size and a SR used at the corners. 

So, although in essence this looks a lot like the original I do think it is 'almost' my pattern. In order to share this pattern (I hope legally) I am going to publish it on my pattern pages with a note that it was inspired by the original. 

I will put a © (copyright notice) on the page in order to protect it for both the original unknown designer and for my own input (including drawings) which I THINK is fair.  I'd appreciate any comments on this and if people think it shouldn't be shared at all then I'll happily leave it to stagnate on my computer instead!!!

12 comments:

muskaan said...

Lovely !!! Besides the pattern, what I like about this is how your choice of colors has given this a kind of 3d effect - the greens seem to be raised above the purple/magenta !!! From a flat motif, you now have 2-layered flowers :-) Congratulations ...

GraceT said...

That mat looks really good! And I for one am happy with your plans to publish the pattern and give credit to the original motif as well.

Marty said...

I think what you've created is sufficiently different from the original that the "inspired by" credit and copyright line should be sufficient for you to publish it on your pattern pages. The look of the mat with the edging really changes it up. I agree with muskaan -- it looks 3D!

Jane Eborall said...

Thanks, Marty.

Jane McLellan said...

Absolutely fair. We'd make no progress if we couldn't be inspired and go on to make something different, but it's good to acknowledge our sources.

Ladytats said...

I agree with the gals above, your changes are significant enough that you should be able to publish the pattern and acknowledge the original inspiration.

God's Kid said...

It looks wonderful!!! :)

Unknown said...

It looks beautiful. I love the colors also. I think you already know all about publishing and the credits and inspirational stuff already so I won't give you any of my opinions about that. As a matter of fact I have learned a lot from you !

Unknown said...

It is beautiful, and wow you really are fast with the shuttles. I am tatting with both the needle and shuttle now, I had to get some things finished and I was just too slow with the shuttle so I decided I will needle the things I need right away and shuttle the things that I don't need right away.

Tally Tatty said...

Jane, you are the MC Esher of tatting. Thank you for sharing what you do with us.

Fox said...

Eye-popping, this one! Esher indeed. This is really something special, Jane.

Suztats said...

This is fabulous! Love the 3-d look.

Creative Commons Licence

Happy Beaks

Happy Beaks
I beg your pardon? I didn't quite catch what you said.