29 January 2024

Monday moan

As a lot of you probably know there have been some changes in one of the tatting groups on Facebook.  I’ve always enjoyed that particular group because advertising patterns for sale was restricted to three days a month.  The new rules are now allowing people to show business posts every day - but they’re not allowing spamming.  I hope this works as it will serve the community well but we’ll have to ‘wait and see’.  I may even do a bit of self promoting myself each day!!!  IF BC3 remembers, of course!!!

I very rarely go onto Facebook as I get email notifications when ‘things happen’ and 99% of the time I just delete the email and don’t go to have a look.  But when people were posting up to three times a day trying to sell their patterns in the past and on ALL the groups I'm in - well that is a bit annoying.  The emails just kept coming!

Eventually I found the answer - I found I could block the constantly annoying people so that I never saw what they’re up to - or what patterns they have for sale.  Did I miss them?  Actually, not one bit and I didn’t get half as many emails either.  

If the new rules work (and I very much hope they do) I may even resort to unblocking those that used to constantly bombard them with selling posts.



6 comments:

Jane McLellan said...

Interesting, because I didn't really twig that there were people plugging their patterns. I don't get emails pertaining to the group and just scroll on by.

Anonymous said...

Hey Jane, Belle here. We made the changes to coincide with new FB guidelines that will be preventing groups from having on post approval as a means to control what people see. We have set these rules in the hope most will do the right thing. But individuals who don't will be post limited instead, if this fails then and only then will put on post approval for that individual. It may take a few weeks to catch individuals out, but we are prepared and stand by the rules. I hope you continue to enjoy the group and seeing all the wonderful tatting.

Anonymous said...

I am a beginner tatter. And if something comes up on my Facebook feed that looks interesting, I will go in and look at it. Otherwise I scroll right by. I was taken back by all the chaos in the last couple weeks about rules. I thought to myself, how can tatting cause so much havoc??!? I get tired of these groups that put their thumb down and are very adamant about what you can and cannot post. I get it to a degree. But I feel like it’s overbearing many times. I consider Facebook to be like sitting down with a friend having a cup of coffee. Whatever topic comes up, comes up. But many are so rigid about what you can and cannot do. Doesn’t make it fun anymore.

Jane Eborall said...

Hopefully the new guidelines will work. I’ve blocked several people who are constantly advertising their patterns for sale - three times a day in some cases. Once I’d done that I felt a lot more comfortable as I don’t see them on any of the groups!! I hope the new rules do work although I had no problem with the old ones and the three business days.

Anonymous said...

I agree... I'm old and don't know who's tatting pattern from 5 yrs ago. Looking for other tatting groups

Jo Davies said...

I agree with your Anonymous correspondent. I was a member of a particular tatting group for five years and had expected that there would be a smooth transition when new administrators and moderators took up the reigns a few weeks ago. How naive I was! I am now a member of a different group which has sensible guidelines/rules, is very friendly and allows free speech. What a joy!

Creative Commons Licence

Happy Beaks

Happy Beaks
I beg your pardon? I didn't quite catch what you said.