25 September 2013

Witch


OK, here it is - the halloween pattern.  My first halloween pattern too.

Before any of you ask - yes, I did pose for it in front of a mirror.  I had to guess at the broomstick, though, as all we'd got was a rather mangy kitchen mop!!!!!  People who know me will notice that I've elongated the nose as my 'real' one is a bit small and a total failure as far as noses go!!!!

When I first started teaching the youngest kids coming into school (here in the UK they're from 4 - 5 years old), it was Bonfire Night which was of huge interest.  Now not all kids love fireworks (I still don't - well only from the comfort of my armchair and when they're on the telly!) but November 5th (Guy Fawkes day) was celebrated hugely here in the UK.  

There used to be a small mention of Halloween 'back then' which was scary for our kids.  Mention witches, ghosts or anything like that and they were scared.  Not all, but a lot of them.  In the UK this day of the year (31st October) passed us by with rarely a mention.  Then along came the Meg and Mog books and this started to make it less scary for our youngsters.  

With global communication opening up, the Halloween celebration was  gradually imported from  America and now slowly (over here) people appear to be losing interest in Guy Fawkes day - also due to the cost of fireworks too, I suppose.

Yes, THE America with their celebration of halloween finally catching on over here.  THANK you, America.  You did us a huge favour as now witches, ghosts, hobgoblins and all those things are no longer scary but fun AND associated with sweets too!!!  Oh, sorry, I mean candy.

11 comments:

Maureen said...

Not widely observed here yet, I am relieved to say; Spotlight does try, but it seems the only children who actually go door-to-door with their parents are small Americans! - and they are very polite, they always put a note in your letterbox first, so you don't have to play if you don't want to. Not my thing at all - but it's the thin edge of the wedge, I think.

TAT19540 said...

Oh Jane you did it! How ever did you know what my sister looked like! lol. No all kidding aside it doesn't look a thing like you. You have wings and a halo !
Forgot to tell you shuttles made it here by the end of the week you posted them.
Halloween is to commercial here they start selling candy beginning of Sept. I don't buy it because I eat it. I don't get trick or treaters at my house. Kids in neighborhood think it's haunted , fine by me. :)

Pigmini said...

Not fair!!! (My BC3 now stamping her foot) this means I've got yet another tat on the go!! TIAS, fandango hankie, twirly doily and now witches!!! I'll run out of shuttles at this rate!!

Got to make her tho, to go on the shawl I've still got from last year when I went to a party as the ghost of a Russian Tzarina!! (got the genuine Russian Hat, complete with badge! LOL

Madtatter80 said...

Very funny! I am from America and always enjoyed making costumes for my children and going out! Now where I live and a lot of others in the United States, the holiday is morphing into where we go to local churches and decorate the back of our pickup trucks or trunks of cars, and sit out in lawn chairs and give the kids candy and goodies. This is done after we were inside the church eating a good supper waiting for the dark! People go all out and even put lights and pumpkins and such in there trunk too it's really a hoot!

Jane McLellan said...

Not keen on the idea of Halloween myself, which isn't observed here (yet!) but I love your witchety witch!

tattrldy said...

Very cute witch! I don't think I'll show the grandkids yet - they will each expect to get one! I've got too many things going right now to start it, right now anyway. Love it.

Sally Kerson said...

We also used to have children wandering around the streets with a Guy and asking a penny for him, then he would be put on top of the bonfire on the 5th Nov, never hear of that custom nowadays either.
The witch is lovely and well in time for Halloween or All Hallows Eve

Jane Eborall said...

Oh, TAT19450 you are naughty talking about your sister like that and so funny that the kids think you live in a haunted house!! Glad the shuttles arrived safely too.
Sorry, Pigmini!!!! Well, I'm not really sorry!!!
Good idea tatrldy. I'd do the same.

Kathy Niklewicz said...

Great pattern!

Margarets designer cards said...

Great witch, I know fireworks are very expensive these days and dangerous if not used properly but I don't like trick or treat I think it's a cheek to go knocking on a neighbours door demanding treats. I love the idea of witches and ghosts on the 31st oct.
Margaret

JB said...

Love your witch. I agree with TAT19540--you ARE an angel...maybe a sneaky one, but still an angel. Lol.
I can't wait to make her and wear her to work.
Thank you Jane and BC3.

Creative Commons Licence

Happy Beaks

Happy Beaks
I beg your pardon? I didn't quite catch what you said.