4 March 2016

I'm a fraud

That's true - I'm a fraud. The reason I'm saying this is because I've been chosen by Tatting Corner as designer of the month. Here's the link.

You see - I'm not a designer. I'm a 'fiddler'. I've never set out to be anything but a tatter who fiddles around and sometimes I accidentally come up with a 'good idea'. 

My career as a 'so called' 'designer' started by accident and I'm still only here by accident too. It was the kids I was teaching that started my career of fiddling  as you can read in the article - the rest is now, as 'they' say, history.

I always think that to be a designer you have to want to be one and then have a plan.  I'm afraid I don't do that.  I like to wait for an idea to come along and then go with it or wait for somebodies suggestion to percolate (thinking Ruth and the Motmot bird here).  Rarely do I decide on something I want or need to make.  Ah, unless it's a TIAS and then I do need to plan that.  That's agony!!!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!!

Maureen said...

I think you have to accept the mantle of "designer", whether you agree with it or not! - or maybe a pattern maker, you have wonderful ideas and you can make the thread do what you want it to. Congratulations on being Designer of the Month.

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

Fiddler or designer, you do a marvelous job of keeping us all inspired to tat!

TotusMel said...

Ah, if you're a fraud, so are we all! Plans! Bah! I prefer fiddling something into existence any day.

Elizabeth said...

A fraud you are not. You are Queen of Tatters.

Marla said...

Congrats! Who are these "They" people! Whom ever "They" are, they sure get around..... Seems like "They" have their fingers into every thing! ;). And "They" know best!

ChristineAtAlchemyStitchery said...

"Fraud" or not... You are an awesome tatting designer! I don't think it matters exactly how the designs come to be. Inspiration can strike in many ways.

StringyDogs said...

Serendipity! You are a friend to me!

Marilee Rockley said...

That's how designing works, isn't it? I haven't yet met anyone who has "the plan".

Anonymous said...

Whatever you call it, it works. :-) If you don't want to think of yourself as a 'designer,' then congratulations on being this month's featured 'fiddler.'
StephanieW

Eliz Davis aka Tatknot said...

Congratulations, Jane! You deserve the honor. Thank you for sharing the results of all that fiddling with the rest of us.

GraceT said...

Congrats, Jane!! Long may you "fiddle" with the thread. It's not only your designs, but also your tutorials. I wonder how many of us you have encouraged - to tat, to "fiddle" with threads and to write up our "doodles" for everyone to enjoy! Thank you, Jane! :-)

Bernice said...

Whatever you do and however you get there I am thankful that you still do it everyday and share your accidents. So congrats on being the "designer of the month".

Creative Commons Licence

Happy Beaks

Happy Beaks
I beg your pardon? I didn't quite catch what you said.