After the success (well, in my opinion) of my last Dora Young project I'm showing you just two pictures of this failure!!!
This is the pattern on page 18 of the Dora Young book. It's not an easy one to follow but has been made more complicated by trying to 'train' BC3 to use a picot gauge.
When I started tatting there were no such things as gauges and when they did finally become 'available' some forty years or more later I just didn't see the point as I'd got pretty good even picots by eyeballing them. BUT when it came to this pattern it states categorically that all picots should be 3/8". I decided that I'd better use one. Well first attempt (not shown here) resulted in a real mess. This was because I din't know whether to lay the gauge (made out of a milk bottle container), alongside the core thread or standing up!!! Once I'd determined which way (standing up) I then made another which lay alongside as that made for faster tatting (for me!). Lots of experiments to get the 'right' sized picot resulted from that!!!
It took these two attempts for me to realise that it wasn't going to work using a gauge when making lock joins so (for now) I've abandoned this pattern. I WILL go back to it as I truly love the motifs when they're attached to each other - the negative space is pretty darn cool. Meanwhile I'm off on another Dora adventure so - watch this space!!!