17 January 2019

Storing threads


I've been very lucky over the years to acquire a LOT of thread. I won some off Handy Hands when Barb asked for colour suggestions and she chose a few of mine. 

I have a set of drawers which I keep my 'best' threads in - Lizbeth ones and even though I'm pretty careful they used to still tangle themselves up and come unwound.

Then I went to Canada and in our goody bags were some of these little netting things. Well I came home and tried to find them everywhere. In Canada they're used by florists to protect the blooms of certain flowers while in transit. Over here? Nah, zilch!!!! 

On my second trip to Canada Kelly presented me with a whole bunch of these which you can see in the top picture. I found the best way to use these is to 'seal' one end so the ball of thread doesn't jump out. I did this on the sewing machine - backwards and forwards a few times over each end. Took no time at all. I pop the ball of thread inside and the 'open end' can be tucked into the centre of the ball - gets easier as you use more thread.






6 comments:

Tim Kaylor said...

I use this but never thought of closing one end. Genius! Thanks for the tip.

Jane McLellan said...

I buy lemons and garlic in these nets; using them afterward to hold thread has the bonus of recycling! They were just marvelous for the slippery microfibre thread I used recently to crochet with.

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

I also use those! I bought a ten yard piece on Amazon. It was listed as thread net for embroidery spools... great stuff!

Mary Anne said...

Guess I've had my head under a pillow. Didn't know about these but what a great solution to tangled thread.

Quayceetatter said...

These can be purchased from superior threads in Utah. I use them for wool strips for rug hooking. Thanks �� Jane for another way to use them.

Claire said...

Garlic is sold here (Canada) with that kind of net around it. I am reusing it for my threads too.

Creative Commons Licence

Happy Beaks

Happy Beaks
I beg your pardon? I didn't quite catch what you said.