28 August 2020

Bowl cosies

After my little stint of pot holders/dishcloths I decided to try making bowl cosies.

Now I've made fabric ones aplenty in the past but this time I decided to experiment with crochet ones.  Why would anyone want a bowl cozy, you may well ask?  Bowls tend to 'cosy up' to each other in a cupboard so why do they want another 'man (or woman) made' one?  Let's face it they don't go out for walks and need a coat like we do!!!! 

Well they're for putting a bowl in in the microwave and they stop humans from burning their fingers when they get the very hot food out.  

I use mine a lot for the pudding sized bowls and I have several small bowls I use a lot too so I made a smaller version too.  

There is some logic in what I do from time to time!!!






9 comments:

Tim Kaylor said...

At first I thought you just wanted something to make. That is all good, but then you tell me how to use them. The microwave! Just what I need! Is there a pattern you can point me to? Sheer genius getting these.

Maureen said...

Also useful for transporting hot food to ailing daughters.
I am the only person in this whole world who has never owned a microwave.....

Jane Eborall said...

You can sew bowl cozies really easily but (like the crocheted ones) you have to be sure that the fabric/yarn you use isn’t going to catch fire in the microwave. I’ve not found any knitted ones, Tim and I think crochet is better as the fabric itself is thicker when crocheted. Here are two links for you https://www.nickishomemadecrafts.com/microwavable-cotton-bowl-cozy/. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhY5oeu-quw
Just found some knitted cozies too so try googling them. I wouldn’t be without mine and use both sizes too.

Jane Eborall said...

Sorry, Maureen, you’re not the only one. My neighbour doesn’t own one either!!!! How do you manage without one?

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

Clever idea and a great way to use up some of my cotton yarn stash!

Jane McLellan said...

Aha, I've never thought of that! I have come across padded cozies that are used to save power. They're put on after the food comes off the stove and the food continues to cook. I guess they could be used with a microwave too.

Alexandrite Woman said...

These are so cool! Boy, I sure could have used one many times -- I've burned my fingers and almost dropped a microwaved container dozens of times (yeah, yeah - tee hee). Absolutely wonderful!

God's Kid said...

Interesting!! :)

Judith Connors said...

Bowl cosies were the rage in the 1970s when people gathered for shared dinners and transported their casseroles to the venue. That was pre-microwave.

Creative Commons Licence

Happy Beaks

Happy Beaks
I beg your pardon? I didn't quite catch what you said.