12 August 2021

Decisions made!

So to put the whole jacket together I started at the bottom!!!  As I knew the original denim was straight I cut the patchwork fabric to 'match the length' measuring and checking several times.  I then added a band which I could then turn over to the inside and stitch to the denim.  
Next I did the same for the two fronts.  Made a couple of strips of fabric slightly wider than the original as I needed a little more width.  This was then sewn on with a stiffening to turn over to the inside.

Then I needed to 'strain the brain' (aka BC3) on what to do next!!  I decided to cover the collar and at the same time incorporating the denim and the patchwork.  That was a bit fiddly but worked really well.  Fortunately I'd cut a newspaper pattern out before I started putting the whole thing together.  I added magnetic buttons (which I'm still not totally convinced about) to hold the fronts together.  I may one day change those out into buttons and buttonholes but will test try the magnets first.

Finally I turned up the sleeves using a strip of fabric as I did for the bottom and fronts.  So here are some pictures of me in the jacket and tomorrow I'll show you some of the inside too.  There is a pocket on the left side of the jacket which holds my phone.  Can you see it?









11 comments:

Liyarra said...

LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!

Jane Eborall said...

Thanks, Jenni.

Janet said...

Jane what a lovely jacket, you’ve done a great job! At times I couldn’t see how It was going to finish up, but now, wow! Well done, love it 😀😀

Jane Eborall said...

Thank you, Janet. I didn’t know myself how it was going to work - just had the idea in my brain!!! Working on another upcycle project at the moment which will be quite different - IF it works!

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

Your jacket looks great! I have to laugh at myself. I clicked on the button link to learn more about magnificent buttons. I've only had one sip of coffee, and I misread magnetic!

Jane Eborall said...

Even funnier is that I read your comment and thought I’d put ‘magnificent’ instead of magnetic!!! I’ve no excuse as I’ve had a tea and a coffee already!!

Jane McLellan said...

Wow, love it to bits!

linb54 said...

amazing jacket! I totally love it!!

picotsnkeys said...

What a wonderful jacket! I hope you get lots of opportunities to wear it.

FairyLaceAndMore said...

Absolutely amasing! Bravo!

Judith Connors said...

Jane, it's absolutely fabulous! Your Ab Fab jacket.

Creative Commons Licence

Happy Beaks

Happy Beaks
I beg your pardon? I didn't quite catch what you said.