27 September 2021

Monday moan

Today’s little grumble is about the effort some people seem to think needs to be put into tatting.  By that I mean making a huge mountain out of a mole hill.
I've one to moan about today.  Posting the shuttle before closing a ring.

I tried that idea for several months (posting the shuttle through the ring before closing) and after a while stopped to seriously think about it.  BC3 doesn't 'do' thinking seriously very often.  

So then I tried going back to my old ways (and a LOT faster too) of not bothering and came to a eureka moment when I realised that (for me) it wasn't about posting the shuttle but just about holding the final ds of the ring firmly so it didn't twist.  It also didn't make a BIT of difference to being able open a ring after closing!

A picture to cheer you up after my moan!



9 comments:

Maureen said...

I don’t post the shuttle, but it’s now automatic to add an extra second- half stitch at the end of a ring. No more unpicking problems.

Jane Eborall said...

I've never had unpicking problems as I start from the core thread somewhere near the end (about four doubles away) of the closed ring and hoik the core thread out. Must try that, though.

Janet said...

I’ve just checked all the rings I’ve done lately my usual way and they look fine! No twists at all and I don’t do anything, but grab my first and last double stitch and pull closed! Also I never have a problem opening my rings, I’m good at that, plenty of practice! Just wish I didn’t need to! 😀 A good moan Jane and a lovely picture! By the way your gloves look great 😀😀

Janet said...

I’ve just checked all the rings I’ve done recently and they’re fine, I’m happy with them and I don’t do anything fancy. Also I never have a problem opening them again, just do it in small stages around the ring. Shame is I’m pretty good at it, lots of practice!! I always check my rings before I close them but still seem to miss something obvious! Do any of you say to yourselves (like I do) right, next, five ds, p, then find your well on the way to 10 without that p?
Great moan Jane and nice pic 😀

Jane McLellan said...

I do like to keep things as simple as possible. I did try posting the shuttle, but it didn't seem to help anything in any way!

Patti said...

I only 'post' the shuttle if I want the ring to have a more rounded look, or if I have a split ring in the middle of a chain. As for making it easier to open a ring, I have more trouble IF I have posted the shuttle. Just my two cents worth.

Judith Connors said...

For me, it all depends where you need the shuttle thread coming from for the next element of a design. Sometimes I post, mostly I don't. When tatting a line of split rings I prefer to post, as a they sit better visually.

staborn said...

I was surprised to learn about posting a few years ago. I've always held my stitches flat between my fingers when closing a ring and never had a problem with the last stitch twisting.

Jane Eborall said...

Thanks for the comment, staborn.

Creative Commons Licence

Happy Beaks

Happy Beaks
I beg your pardon? I didn't quite catch what you said.