29 November 2021

Stiffening tatting

Waaaay back in the dark ages when dinosaurs roamed the earth and I was a primary school teacher I realised that there was one small perk to the job.  Glue!!!!  Back then I was making tatted earrings (it was that which set me off as a designer) to entice the reception children into school in the morning to 'see what teacher had in her ears'.  In fact I met a pupil last Thursday who remarked that I was still making them.  She was with her 13 year old daughter!!!!  

So I used to use the white PVA glue (as you know it takes a smidgen) to see if it would work as a stiffener.  It did and some 38 or so years later I still find it's my favourite stiffener.  

Well, that was until last week when I popped into The Works in town and spotted clear PVA glue.  Actually I am almost 'out' of the white stuff so this was my 'excuse' to buy myself a bottle.

I was totally amazed at the results (which I'll show you later in the week) as it was clear (and dried clear too) and the beads didn't stop sparkling at all.  Mind, I've never found beads were dulled by the white stuff as that does dry clear anyway.

It is different in another way though.  It gives a much stiffer finish.  I'm going to try it out on my snowflakes but the results on earrings are spectacular.  More later in the week.



4 comments:

Jane McLellan said...

Very interesting. Questions are often asked about stiffening.

Maureen said...

It isn't that brand, but last year when the world closed down and I couldn"t buy the Clover tatting liquid from Japan, I bought a bottle of clear glue to see if it would behave in the same way the Clover product does.
It's not quite as good, but it's almost perfect.
I haven't used it for stiffening though.
I'm currently tatting your Sparkly Star.I might try it on that as you say that it won't dull the beads.

Pigmini said...

I've used the white to great effect! and... I have to make a new pair for this year.... look forward to your results!

Yorkie Sue's Tatting said...

My local "Works" has closed :-( or I'd give this new one a go...

Creative Commons Licence

Happy Beaks

Happy Beaks
I beg your pardon? I didn't quite catch what you said.