25 April 2022

Monday moan

OK so today I’m going to be quite controversial and I know that a lot of you will totally disagree with me. 
I’m not talking about tatting videos but they do come under the same moan really.

My lovely friend Sandra sent me a link to a video on how to make a pouch - a sewing one.  I’ll show you another day.  Now this is ONLY on a video.  There are no written instructions.  No sound except music and not a lot of text either.

I am afraid that I’m of the ‘old school’ and I need written ‘destructions’.  Videos are fine for a technique but to do a pattern takes a lot more skill from the presenter.  With a video I miss being able to make my own notes on the pdf as I go along so poor old BC3 has to keep rewinding all the time.  GIMME proper written patterns with diagrams/pictures any day.  This constantly rewinding drives me MAD!!!  I suppose being an OG (old git) has got a lot to do with my problems but honestly ……..

I also am wondering if videos (now talking tatting) won’t make people ‘lazy’ and finally unable to read a written pattern.

Back off my soapbox and back to the wretched video.  Here’s a picture to cheer you up!





12 comments:

Maureen said...

It’s so frustrating that many of the new designers are ONLY putting their patterns on YouTube. It’s not for me either, Jane, fortunately there are plenty of written designs to keep me busy.
I suppose one justification though, is that you don’t need to understand the language to follow the directions.
It all takes too long, I don’t have the patience- or Time- for any of that .

Jane Eborall said...

Thanks, Maureen. I’m glad I’m not alone. It’s the constant rewinding and rewinding that bugs me. Slows the whole process down so much. With the video I’ve been trying to follow there’s no real ‘explanation’ about what part should be where either. I’d NEVER do a tatting pattern from a video.

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

I like watching videos to see how things are done, but I can't follow a video pattern. It's very frustrating! Diagrams work best for me, and I'm no good drawing diagrams.

Jane McLellan said...

I'm sure videos have their place, but they're not ideal for a pattern that you want to keep referring to.

Rose Anne B said...

I totally agree with you Jane! I still look for written patterns and view videos only for clarification of the PDF or someone's written pattern.

Anonymous said...

I'm afraid I don't have the patience to watch an entire 'pattern' video when the person takes an hour and a half and you have to sit and watch them tat the whole thing start to finish. I mute the sound so I don't have to listen to the (often awful) music, but still feel like most of them are a total waste of time. If I have to sit and watch them tat every single stitch and keep going back to remind myself what to do, I turn it off and go tat something else. I thought it was just me....
StephanieW

erin said...

(In her best sarcastic whine), But Jane.....that would take *work*!

God's Kid said...

I agree!!

GoldenMom said...

Well Jane, I'm an OG too! And I'm with you 100% on this Monday's moan! I love your well-written/ diagrammed designs as that's what my brain needs too. I like a brief well-made video for a technique, but certainly don't want a pattern shared that way. Plus, here we have SLOW internet connections and there's NO way I'm ever going to watch a long video. Ha!

Jane Eborall said...

I’d not thought about a slow internet connection but that would drive me BONKERS, GoldenMom. I agree about videos for a technique but even a lot of those aren’t clear.
Like you, StephanieW, I can’t stand the music on some of them too. I rarely watch videos anyway but when and if I do I like short and quick ones.

picotsnkeys said...

I seldom watch videos. Even for techniques. If I do, I mute! Even if the person is gesturing as they talk. My daughter has software that can grab a section of a video. She did that for me once on a non-tatting video so that I could use it teaching how NOT to proceed! I didn't even bother contacting the creator, it was THAT bad!
For patterns, I use the rule of 3: See it in both diagram and text; Hear it as I speak my way through the pattern; and then try it out with thread and shuttles. If I can't use what the designer has published and I like the lace, I'll rewrite.
BTW, I haven't rewritten any of your patterns!!! (take a bow!)

Jane Eborall said...

Thanks for the compliment, picotsnkeys. Let’s hope that video patterns have a short life!!!

Creative Commons Licence

Happy Beaks

Happy Beaks
I beg your pardon? I didn't quite catch what you said.