16 May 2022

Monday moan!

Yes another Monday moan. Bored with them?  Let me know and I’ll stop.  Well, if BC3 will allow me to!!!
This is back to one I’ve moaned about before and which I think is now becoming quite dangerous.  Dangerous for those who sell patterns online or hold copyrights on in books etc - just be aware not to use mine without permission!

Another tatter pointed out to me last week that there was a YouTuber who was publishing videos of patterns which were copyrighted to another.  Now some copyright laws seem to suggest that if this is being done in another ‘format’ it’s OK to do it.  BUT what about intellectual property?

Please REMEMBER that the original written (whether digital or printed) pattern involved a LOT of work which isn’t needed when transferring to a video.  

Firstly the person I was alerted to (on YouTube) was using a pattern that was originally published in written form in a book.  

Secondly I’d like to know if she had permission.

Thirdly another thought- this is actually damaging to our craft as working out a pattern in text and diagrams is part of the learning curve which is essential to any craft.  If a person isn’t ‘forced’ to learn the craft from practically nothing then there will be no in depth skill.  A brain has to be made to work for it’s ‘keep’.  

I’m lucky as I had to learn from ‘word of mouth’ from somebody who was also learning so BC3 was forced to really concentrate on the knot.  

A picture to cheer you up!!!



6 comments:

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

Well stated, Jane! I know I learned a lot from you and others who helped me work my way through patterns. Although I find videos helpful at times, there's nothing like working it out for yourself.

Jane Eborall said...

I’ve found that the only way I truly learn is by my mistakes. I count my marriage as the biggest mistake I ever made and that’s why I’d never marry again. Mind, I did get the BEST two kids from the ex.

Pigmini said...

Well Said Miss|!! It gets me mad that people can think they can get away with this sort of thing!

GoldenMom said...

NEVER tire of your "moaning Monday" posts....as many address issues for which we need to MOAN. Couldn't agree more about respecting copyrights! You are so generous and kind when you share pattern designs. Whenever I tat one of your designs, I give you credit (as you well deserve) when I give that tatted item as a gift. AND I love your diagrams as well as written instructions as that's how my brain works too. I need to be able to think it through when I am tatting a new pattern. THANKS Jane!

Jane Eborall said...

What a lovely comment. Thank you GoldenMom. Much appreciated.

Judith Connors said...

As an author-designer I second Jane's comments. Copyright etiquette is so important. No matter the medium involved, intellectual property needs to be recognised every time.

Creative Commons Licence

Happy Beaks

Happy Beaks
I beg your pardon? I didn't quite catch what you said.