19 October 2022

Just like Topsy

Now do you remember this little snowflake thing that I designed many years ago?  Well it grew shortly after into it's 'big brother' which you can find here.
Weeeellll, it's going through another growth spurt but that's proving an interesting experience!!!

Here are two versions that I'm working on but  I'm having some problems.

As you know from experience (if you've ever ventured into my pattern site) I like my designs to lie flat when they're finished without the messing about with this 'new fangled' blocking which is talked about so much.  I rarely, rarely block anything and think it's a pain in the proverbial!!!  Anyway, I digress.  Here are the two recent versions (which will be fine once stiffened) which will go into my Christmas giveaway 'pot'.  Meanwhile I'll be working on another two or three to fathom out how to stop the twist I get in the spikes.  Keep your eyes on this space.  NOT the space between my two ears - that's full of knotted thread!!!!




7 comments:

Maureen said...

It’s sixty five years at least since I read Uncle Tom’s Cabin! And now I have met it again on your tatting blog. I must hunt for my copy, it has survived several moves over the years.
I love your nice flat flake very much.

Jane McLellan said...

Yes, I think tatting should lie flat without having to be blocked into submission. I'm sure BC3 will figure it out. Looks good in the photos!

Martha said...

Sometimes with a piece like that, I can put it between some layers of a towel and steam press it flat, but sometimes it messes up the beads. Maybe you could dampen it slightly, put between two layers of the terry cloth and put a weight on top until it dries. That is, unless you can't come up with a tatting solution to the twist.

Jane Eborall said...

I’ve never read the book, Maureen! Perhaps it’s time I did!!!
I agree with you too, Jane.
Ah, Martha, I’ve finally found a solution!!! Stitch counts and more beads!!! Strategically placed beads were the real solution.

God's Kid said...

They are both good, but I really like the top one!! :)
I hate blocking too!! ;)

Toptattyhead said...

I agree entirely about blocking….definitely a pain in the posterior!
Both flakes look really effective.

picotsnkeys said...

I agree with patterns needing blocking. I find that if the geometry is correct and my tension is correct and the thread is high quality, very little blocking is needed. I do understand that there are times when blocking helps, so I've made a stab at learning the skill. My next skill: "finishing" which translates to prepping the tatting so that you can use it and enjoy it!
Your flake is wonderful too!!

Creative Commons Licence

Happy Beaks

Happy Beaks
I beg your pardon? I didn't quite catch what you said.