21 November 2022

Monday moan - sort of!!!!

Last week I saw a video online from one of the designers who sells on Etsy.  I was a little concerned to see that the technique used had been misnamed.  
This happens quite a lot and it's always easier to shrug the aged shoulders and walk (or hobble) away and 'let sleeping dogs lie'.  I thought a lot about this situation and realised I'd been in a similar predicament before.  Do you leave it alone and let others believe and start to use the misnamed technique as the new name or do you point out the situation to the person concerned?  

I've had a really unpleasant experience when offering my help in the past so 'once bitten, twice shy'.  In that case it was test tatting and we live in a completely different time zones.  When I'm asked, or offer  to help someone I'm always keen to 'get the job done' so time zones do mean waiting around for comments back.  

In the end the person I was trying to help gave me the 'sack' and has banned me from seeing anything she does on any platform.  Not that that's a problem as there are always ways round that - IF I could be bothered.  Anyway in that past situation I could've just put what I felt the problem was out in the public domain but I don't like Facebook so veer away from it.  

The recent problem I saw in a video last week did worry me too so in the end I decided to send a private message.  With great trepidation.  

I can honestly say I had a lovely, lovely chat with this lady and in the end she realised that the name she'd made up was, in fact, a well known technique that had been around for many many years.  Thank you to the person concerned for listening to me and being such a lovely person.  I may offer to help others again in the future thanks to this pleasant experience. 



6 comments:

Maureen said...

I found out recently that my exciting discovery of half- closed rings mimicking chains- ( if you are using just one shuttle)- is actually a 19 th century element if tatting called “ scallops”.
I have been acquainted with tatting since 2004, and I didn’t know that. It’s great to have contact with knowledgeable people who know much more than I do!

Jane McLellan said...

Glad you overcame the 'once bitten, twice shy' feeling and had a good experience. Most people are happy to get help from an experienced tatter!

Debra said...

I'm glad you spoke privately to the person, at some point someone may have been less diplomatic and hurtful. I appreciate your knowledge and experience

Anonymous said...

I would say tell the person…I have been misled when learning and ended up way bumbfoozzled in a conference trying to do something completely wrong and ended up very frustrated at the end.

Bernice said...

Thanks for reaching out to the tatter. We all need reminders now and then. You are always such a treasure to the community.

Jane Eborall said...

Maureen - I started in 1956 and am still learning and loving it. I wish I had a good brain for history - mine doesn't work half as well as Judith Connors.
Jane McClellan - I must admit I thought about 'what to do' for hours before gently 'jumping into the water' again.
Debra - I always try to do things quietly. I'd hate to be called out publicly for something I wasn't aware of in the first place. She's such a lovely lady.
Anonymous - it was a real pleasure to talk to this lady and her English is far better than she thought it was!!!
Bernice - thank you. Pity my bank balance does't show 'treasure'!!!! Perhaps I should've started selling my designs but I'd rather promote the craft than amass money!!!!

Creative Commons Licence

Happy Beaks

Happy Beaks
I beg your pardon? I didn't quite catch what you said.