15 April 2024

Back with a Monday moan

Yes I’m back for a while.  Sorry to have neglected the blog for a few weeks but it doesn’t mean that I’m leaving it permanently - just had too much going on and not a lot of crafting to show.  

Today I want to mention copy tatters.  These are people who see a design they like (mostly on Pinterest), enlarge it and then copy tat it.  Whilst I personally feel there’s a bit to learn when doing this it is basically immoral.  

The biggest lesson to learn is that wysiwyg applies.  Do you remember when the internet was new that wysiwyg stood for ‘what you see is what you get’?  Well, when copy tatting, there are often stitches or techniques that the copier has to ‘guess at’ so wysiwyg doesn’t always apply and the piece being copied may well turn out ‘wonky’,not lie properly etc because of that.  

It’s also ‘theft by stealth’ just as photocopying (nowadays scanning) a pattern out of a book and then sending that to somebody else.  I guess that those who do this feel there’s nothing wrong with what they’ve done.  

BUT it does deny the designer of an income if they’re selling the pattern.  

All I can really say is that oldies (old gits) like me learned the hard way as pictures were only in books (and often fuzzy!) and we had no internet etc to enable that type of behaviour.  I would BEG those that do copy tat to not share on Facebook groups which only encourages others to do the same.  

Remember even the simplest pattern takes months to refine and some people sell theirs to earn a living.

A picture to cheer you up!!!



13 comments:

Jane McLellan said...

I did used to copy tat when I didn't know any better, though I don't think I actually did anyone out of an income. It's certainly easier to use a properly written pattern and there are many free patterns available.

Jane McLellan said...

PS, good to see you back again!

Debra said...

I am happy to see you back! It is sad to see such a lack of integrity and respect for others property and work.

Phyllis said...

Well said.

Marilee Rockley said...

Agreed. I've noticed some current pattern book pages posted on Pinterest, sigh.

picotsnkeys said...

Glad to see you back. The picture did cheer me up.

Tim Kaylor said...

Like Jane M, I admit that I have done it. I don't any more and have not for a long time. Lately I have been working with Leigh (Something Under The Bed) on some books I purchased that she was unaware of. Before I sent her a copy we contacted the Author and got permission. Permission was granted only to give Leigh the copy and no other. I will not violate that trust.We are working to get similar permission for another book she did not know about. If we cannot get permission, then no copy will be made.
Welcome home. Hope all is well now.

Jane Eborall said...

Good for you and Leigh for sticking to the right path when dealing with this type of thing. If only everybody was the same.

Anonymous said...

I’m not accomplished enough to get a pattern by spreading it. I find the amount ask for by the designer is very small and therefore, if I really want a pattern, I will just purchase it. That will help and encourage the designer to create more patterns for us. Win, win.

Hallie said...

Glad to see you back, Jane! For me it would be too much trouble to figure out a pattern from a photo, when there are SO many wonderful free patterns out there, and most of those sold on Etsy, etc., are reasonably priced.

BTW, thank you for your instructions on doing split chains the easy way. I'm working on a filet tatting pattern using split chains and I've actually gotten GOOD at them! LOL

GoldenMom said...

So glad to see you back Jane! I missed your blogs but am happy that you addressed copy tatting on your Monday Moan. I'm one of those old gits too, so I had to learn to tat with directions and diagrams (very rarely were there good photos). While the internet has provided us with many great ways to share, some do not respect other's property or hard labor in creating. Thanks for your comments.

Judith Connors said...

Along similar lines...
When I tutor internationally, I design pieces specifically for those classes, but have no control over the copy-sharing of my notes by tatters who attend my classes. So, I leave out one or two essential instructions and demonstrate these only in the classes I run.

At the moment there is one of my 'class' designs on sale on Etsy, but I can see where that tatter lacks the instructions I left out of my notes. :-)

Jane Eborall said...

What a splendid idea, Judith. That’s disgraceful that one of your designs is on Etsy. Have you taken it up with them? Etsy, I mean. They do listen - sometimes.

Creative Commons Licence

Happy Beaks

Happy Beaks
I beg your pardon? I didn't quite catch what you said.