22 August 2017

Not quite tatting!!

Many people say to me when they see me tatting - 'oh, isn't that crochet or almost the same'?

Well I gently explain that it isn't like crochet as this is a knotted lace. Anyway, today's post is sort of about crochet. I didn't learn to crochet til I was 32 years old. Almost 20 years after I'd learned to tat. I only tried it because I had an old aunty (my gran's sister, who I learned to tat with) who was, I guess, sort of jealous that I could tat but not do her 'sport' of crochet. So, I got a book from the library and made myself learn to crochet. It's my 'go to' craft when I want to do something different.

While on my walk round the rec (short for recreation grounds) and back through the canal basin on Sunday I spotted a sign on one of the narrow boats advertising crochet items for sale so I took some pictures to show you!!! These show the windows of the boat with the pieces that are for sale. 



8 comments:

Maureen said...

I would have bought the blue teacosy! I crocheted for many years, until I discovered tatting, but have had to stop because it hurts too much to hold the hook. I've always said that tatting doesn't hurt at all!

Tim Kaylor said...

Do people live on those boats? Nice things for sale. I crochet, but don't really care for it. For a "go to" other, I prefer to knit. Don't have to look at it. I can knit and watch football. Or American football. Hehe.

Jane Eborall said...

Well when I've strayed and tried needlle tatting it almost destroyed my hands yet crochet is fine!!!! I think I tried too hard to get anything like a decent tension with the 'weapon of tat destruction' and that's what crucified them!!!!!!

Jane Eborall said...

Yes, Tim, a few live on them but most are holiday lets. I can knit but would rather crochet.

Jane McLellan said...

So bright and cheerful! Someone said to me just a couple of days ago, "Is tatting like crochet?" Er, no. I had to tat a ring to show her how it's done.

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

I used to crochet doilies like crazy until I finally caught on to tatting. I do crochet once in a while, but usually only a few old favorite patterns. I much prefer thread crochet to working with yarn.

I think I could get used to spending time on one of those beautiful boats!

Kathy Niklewicz said...

I've always been envious that you learned to tat at 12! I taught myself to knit and crochet from the Learn How Book when I was 12, but couldn't make sense of the tatting section in that book, nor from other books or publications over the years. I finally learned to tat at age 45 in 1989 from a person (no internet yet). And I was quite upset to find out how 'easy' it was. But I had to figure out on my own that I could hold the thread in the left hand exactly as I did when I crocheted (and knit Continental style)!

I was also delighted to discover that I could tat comfortably with very fine thread (although I rarely do so). I found it difficult use a small hook for crocheting with fine thread. But I'm pleased that I can tat, knit and crochet. They are all fascinating! I can tat with a needle, but I prefer maneuvering a shuttle - and definitely prefer a bobbin shuttle with a hook!

I assume you knit British style? Have you tried Continental, which is more like crocheting.


Jane Eborall said...

Oh, Kathy, I used to have a wonderful German friend who taught me continental style but I stupidly went back to my old ways. It was a lot faster and I wish I'd stuck at it. To get colours into my work as a kid I used to use silk sewing thread!

Creative Commons Licence

Happy Beaks

Happy Beaks
I beg your pardon? I didn't quite catch what you said.