6 March 2018

Another kit that's not really a kit


Another kit - well, this was actually from a handout in Mimi Dillman's class back in whenever at Palmetto Tat Days.

I wasn't a lover of clunies as I'd never really given them any practice but, having found the shuttles that I wound for Mimi's class - with a start on this motif in my blue box of kits I had to have another 'go'. 

I started the original motif in a horrid colour in class because I always reckon that classes are for learning and I really, really needed to learn this technique properly.  Which begs me to say that if you EVER get the chance to take one of Mimi's classes then please do. 

I sat opposite Tim who very kindly gave me a cluny loom which he'd made on his 3D printer and you can see my post about that here. 

That original motif and a few other false starts now live in landfill or recycling somewhere!!!! I eventually got the hang of the cluny thanks to this video and  this page by mimi who I always think of as the Queen of the Clunies!   I then headed for my favourite Lizbeth colour - Rainbow Taffy.  This is the result - SUCCESS at last.

Now I can seriously say I like clunies and will be tackling another of Mimi's designs which is a bookmark.

11 comments:

Tim Kaylor said...

Isn't Mimi the greatest? I still don't know how she can hold her hand like that. I just cannot do it. Looks like you got the hang of it pretty quickly. Your clunies look good!

Jane Eborall said...

Perhaps you and I should start the “we love Mimi society”? She’s a fantastic teacher and a lovely lady too.

Madtatter80 said...

I do love clunies💚

Sewicked said...

Mimi is fab! And when she teaches clunies, they are so much easier to grasp. You did a great job on that motif, Jane.

Jane McLellan said...

Well done! Really pretty motif in that thread. I look forward to seeing more clunies.

God's Kid said...

That is so awesome and pretty!!! :)

jennytats said...

At last you have been converted and can become a member of the "I love Clunies" club. Will be seeing some Clunies designs from you soon?

Jane Eborall said...

Well, jennytats, you never know!!!!
Now I've got a question to ask you. Will you be reviving your blog again soon? I love reading blogs.

Pigmini said...

Hey... can I join the 'I love Clunies' club too please!!! I adore making them in either tatting or in bobbin lace (tallies or leaves in that), but I do just loves them too!!

Bernice said...

Great clunies, Mimi is the master of the cluny.

MimiD said...

Awww, you guys are too kind.

Jane, your leaves are great! I’m sure the bookmark won’t give you any trouble.

I taught this pattern at Palmetto Tat Days 2016. It and the bookmark pattern are available on their pattern CD for that year.

Creative Commons Licence

Happy Beaks

Happy Beaks
I beg your pardon? I didn't quite catch what you said.