4 January 2023

Knitting? Did somebody mention

Knitting?  
After the success of this jumper I thought I’d try another pattern.  The first one was done with double knitting yarn but this next time I decided I wanted to use 4 ply.  Am I MAD or am I MAD?

So off I set on my journey through Ravelry.  Well we all know how long that takes but I eventually found ‘just what I wanted’ right here.

Now I’ve always tried to stretch myself to do more and more complicated things but I think this was probably a ‘step too far’ this time.  

I think I started at the beginning of December but progress was dismal and disastrous!!!  I think I started about eight times.  As there are only four rib rows of knit one, purl one before the start of ‘German short rows’ it was really hard to unpick ‘just to the ribbing’.  Each time I’d pull out the rows and try and pick up after the four rows of rib and I failed time and time again.  I was about to go searching Ravelry for an alternative pattern when I thought I’d have ‘one more go’.  This turned out to be pretty successful.  

The main problem was that the pattern is condescend at the start and expands as the garment moves outwards towards the shoulders.  I think I’m now ‘on track’ to succeed eventually!!!


9 comments:

Jane McLellan said...

Aha, well done! All those stitch markers, it certainly looks complicated.

Maureen said...

If you can get through the yoke the rest should be easy. I looked up the recommended wool, is that what you’re using?

Jane Eborall said...

Couldn’t get the recommended yarn bot got hopefully the equivalent!!! Time will tell and it may mean starting all over AGAIN!!!

Martha said...

It's a lovely pattern. Have you heard of knitting "lifelines"? I think that's the right word. Periodically, or at the beginning of a troublesome section, run a thread or thin yarn through your stitches on the needles. Then if you have a problem, you can unravel back to there and pick up the stitches off the lifeline thread.

Jane Eborall said...

Thanks, Martha. No I’d never heard of that but what a good idea. The main reason for having to take it all out so many times were the small cables and German short rows. Once I got into it, though, it’s become straightforward. I wish I’d known about the lifelines.

GoldenMom said...

Gorgeous pattern Jane! Glad you're being persistent about this even though you've started several times. I love Martha's idea here....had not heard of doing that, but I will remember that too as I've found a similar problem with some patterns. Hope the remainder is less of a challenge.

Jane Eborall said...

The joys of the internet and bloggingm, GoldenMom. We all learn from each other!!

TeresaW said...

Like Martha, I use lifelines (especially if I'm doing knitted lace) a lot. It's a really good idea for a "new-to-me" pattern. I love the yarn and the color is stunning!

God's Kid said...

Since I am not a knitter I will just say, looks like a good start!! :)

Creative Commons Licence

Happy Beaks

Happy Beaks
I beg your pardon? I didn't quite catch what you said.