17 January 2008

Tatting Talks

Yesterday I went to a small village just outside of town to give a talk on tatting. (Last talk I did was in November - at another village).

I had the feeling that this might be an old age pensioners group and having done a few of those some twenty or more years ago I must admit to not being that enthusiastic. I used to find that the men weren't interested and dozed off and that there was always one lady who 'knew how to do it' and who conducted her own version of the talk in a loud 'whisper'.
Anyway, I arrived with my suitcase to find that we were in a small (and VERY cold) side room off the main hall. Anne, who had booked me, took me in and sorted some tables out for me and put the heating on. Heating in village halls is notoriously 'iffy' but this was magnificent and the room warmed up very quickly.

The 'victims' arrived and were mostly eldery (heck, Jane, so are you!) BUT and this is a VERY BIG BUT, they were very, very interested. I enjoyed every minute and was SO glad I'd taken all my best pieces with me. One lady had brought her own piece of tatting which she'd done many years ago. It was a cream doily in a fine (guess about 40) thread and had been done extremely well.

Another lady admitted that when she heard that the talk was going to be about somebody's hobby she wasn't all that keen to come but had really enjoyed hearing about 'tatting today'! I think they were most surprised at how many people were doing it worldwide.

Oh, I told them about the 'tat it and see' and I told them it was going to be a £$^%&*"!£%^&£ but I'm not telling anybody who reads this blog!!
One of the group was talking with me afterwards about being nervous of her computer and the internet. I told her about a scheme that the local library runs for 'silver surfers' to have an hour with a volunteer tutor. She may well go and ask for an hour and as I'm one of the volunteers we may well meet up again. I do hope so as she was such an interesting lady.

After the talk they had sandwiches, cake and tea. I was very good and only had a cup of tea - until I saw the chocolate cake!!! Now how many calories is that?!

7 comments:

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

I've been told that the calories fall out with the first cut... I choose to believe!

LadyShuttleMaker aka MadMadPotter said...

Jane, you write in such a way that I can totally envision the whole thing.
Wonderful! I wish I were there and then I would know what we are tatting with the TIAS!

Ridgewoman said...

Hi Jane (smile)Tat n See...
Let's see: first word 7 letters, second word 5 letters. Charades anyone?
Cakes eaten in fellowship with others haven't any calories - so you are home free! LOL
What Fun - the Silver Surfers idea seems great for any small town. I may suggest it for our local library.
Ok, now I want chocolate cake! Thanks a bunch.

love n smooches

sunny southwest NM, USA

Jane Eborall said...

Diane thanks for the advice on chocolate cake!! Now I can go look for more!!
Jane

Tattycat said...

I totally agree with everyone, especially about the calories leaking out with the first cut! It sounds like you had great fun and now I want chocolate cake too!

rainbows and raindrops said...

I would KILL (well almost =)) to have a tatting talk / meeting / fair where i am!

Debbie S. said...

Jane, I love your way of making a day of 'fun' for you.... so very real to the rest of us! It was like we were all there watching you too! :) I'd like to see you come to speak in my town... I'll bet you could stir up an interest even here! :)

Creative Commons Licence

Happy Beaks

Happy Beaks
I beg your pardon? I didn't quite catch what you said.