1 May 2009

A rose by any other name!

Seems like I've put the aged and gnarled old foot in it!! Apparently the double double ds that Rhoda shows in her book turns out to have been published under the name of the balanced double stitch by Ruth Perry!!! If only Rhoda was contactable I'd have a word in her ear for causing me this bovver!!!

I'm adding this link here as it gives food for thought from a well known local chap!

Anyway to turn to nicer thoughts! I'm showing a picture here of some of the prettiest fabric in my stash (well, that's my opinion for today) and to let anybody know who's interested that I've cut four bags t of it. This piece (the leftover) is enough to make a matching poke proof pouch!!! I'm hoping to get to sew one or two of them today!!

I'm delighted that I've already sold three of the six bags I listed two days ago in my Etsy shop. I wasn't intending to list them as I was trying to make a batch to sell in the vending room at Palmetto to help towards the cost of flights. I think I'll just have to make more!!!!

8 comments:

Krystle said...

Way to be a sport about the whole thing! I'm sure the fluff will die down soon. I think it's great how you are willing to explore things and give us new tidbits all the time. We all love you Jane. And I must tell you, the first time you commented on my blog, I was all "Look! THE Jand Eborall read my blog AAAAHHHH!"

P.S. Love the butterflies~

Needledreams said...

Well, don't worry dear. Anyway I like the page you made with the clear instructions. And anyway, if Rhoda published it first then she's the one to credit about it.

Jane Eborall said...

Thanks Krystle and Wally. The only thing to do in a situation like this is ........ nothing!!! I read loads of blogs, Krystle and love every one of them - particularly yours. I don't always comment but be warned - I'm watching!!! I also learn from what I read on them too.
You are right, Wally. Rhoda is the one to be credited which is all I was trying to do in the first place. I'm going to go and read more of the old books to see what else I can glean.

Trayna said...

Jane, I must say that I support you whole heartedly - it's just a storm in a teacup. I will however, pass one observation - that the publication date of Rhoda Auld's book of 1974 does predate 2008 somewhat! ;)
Keep up the wonderful work.

TAT19540 said...

Put me on the list for one of the bags and a poke proof pouch! I love butterflies and if you send me a bill I send you your money through palpal! contact me at sascribner@sbcglobal.net.
I wouldn't worry about the dds thing- I'm sure every thing we have now someone thought up before.

H J Hess said...

Jane,
I remember when my town library acquired Rhoda Auld's book back in the '70s, but I never paid much attention to anything but the images (I was very young, LOL).
It seems to me that if this was published in 1974-75, then there is a possibility that others might have picked up this technique unknowingly throughout the past 35 years (one-third of a century+, ouch!).
Maybe we should do a poll of tatters worldwide to see if they have different names for the same technique.
Anyway, I am grateful for your generosity and caring spirit.
You are a treasure to the Tatting community.
Big hugs from
Hegla
.

Amoonsinger said...

Just read the ling about "A rose by any other name". That was a very neat thing to read. I learned long ago there can always be something behind the original meaning of things. So I find this interesting. Oh and I get it. ROFLOL

Jenni said...

I admire you for the way you handled this, Jane. I, personally, was fuming for you. You are a bigger person than I would be in this situation.

Creative Commons Licence

Happy Beaks

Happy Beaks
I beg your pardon? I didn't quite catch what you said.