24 February 2010

Giraffe re-visited


I've just re-visited the big giraffe pattern and 'modernised' it the 'Jane way'.  


This isn't necessarily the 'right' way to put patterns down but it's the way that I've got used to over the years but even that changes as those who have been using them will have realised!!!!

When I first started tatting all patterns were written longhand and all jumbled up on one line - with words instead of symbols.  These were very hard to follow so one of the first things I decided on when writing down my own was that each new element (ring, chain, SCMR, SR etc) should always start on a new line.

Some time ago I did some research into how long it is since the 'shorthand' versions of writing patterns was started and was totally gobsmacked when I found (thanks to all those online tatters worldwide) that this has actually been around since the 1920's or thereabouts.  There - and I thought it was 'modern'!!!

Over the years even my 'little ways' have changed so that's why the giraffe has now been slightly re-written!!!  I've done it so that it can be worked more easily (I HOPE!) with more emphasis on getting it right sided.  Just need the time to put it on the web page!!!  


Come on, who stole my time?  I know one of you did!

5 comments:

Carol Schockling Lawecki said...

That's great Jane!! I think your patterns are all so well written already, I don't know how you improve on that.

I love this Giraffe pattern and will make it again when you put up the new revised pattern. :)

deanna7trees said...

Ooooh, I love him. He looks like he's dancing. I must try this one.

deanna7trees said...

Ooooh, I love him. He looks like he's dancing. I must try this one.

Marty said...

My niece was asking for a giraffe just this morning! I drew her a stick one and she was disgusted. Once you've got the new revised pattern up I'll have to surprise her. I love the thread you used for the giraffe -- it looks very giraffey.

Ridgewoman said...

I CONFESS. I STOLE YOUR TIME. and I am un repentant!
Whew! I was going to do the Giraffe for Bekah (to go with the Hippo); so will wait now for the NEW, improved model. Although, I've seldom had REAL problems with any patterns from your page. And when I have an SOS, you always answer. and THUS, I must confess it was I ~ stole your time. :>) XXXX P

Creative Commons Licence

Happy Beaks

Happy Beaks
I beg your pardon? I didn't quite catch what you said.