2 March 2010

HDT v HWT

Now most of you know I love colours - all colours even the 'not quite so bright' ones.

Recently I've started using HDT threads either because I've become curious or because I've won them in giveways on blogs (I won another yesterday - yippeee).  

Before this minor discovery of HDT I used to use HWT.  I think, at the moment, this is still my favourite way of getting colour into my work - but as a woman I'm allowed to change my mind constantly.

Oh, did I hear somebody ask what HWT is?  That's my abbreviation for Hand Wound Thread.

This is where I take two or three threads and wind them onto the shuttles together.  Normally I use a 60, 70 or 80 variegated thread with another plain one of the same type OR a machine quilting thread (again plain).  A little care has to be taken to keep the tensions of the threads even whilst winding them on but it does give stunning results. 

You've probably seen the experiments that I did with this idea a few years ago but I'm going to bore you with them again (see below).  I started this mat to use up a huge stash of fine threads that I'd collected over the years but - well, you know how it goes, the stash kept growing because I 'needed' a bit more of this and a bit more of that!!!!

This isn't the end of the story, though!!!  There will be more on this subject and further experimentations over the next few days.  Keep watching!!!!

9 comments:

*♥* Heather *♥* said...

wow thats beautiful!!

Carol Schockling Lawecki said...

Those are gorgeous Jane!! They look quite large too. I've never made tatted anything that big before.

Fox said...

Stunning!

I am using two strands of vintage thread right now, because one is too thin, but I never thought of mixing colours! Brilliant idea, Jane, and such wonderful results. Thanks for posting this - I have lots of thin thread, and now a lot of plans for them!
Fox : )

Anonymous said...

Is that pattern listed on your pattern page.

Beautiful!

Marty said...

Love those mixed colors! I like using a strand of white with plain colors or variegates -- makes it look vaguely tweed. Those mats are really wonderful representations of piece quilting!

Unknown said...

Wow, that's a lot of work! YOu've been working on that a long time.

Sally Kerson said...

Fantastic colours, fantastic piece of tatting its amazing what you can do with different size threads! Do you want some more?!!!

sewmuchfun4 said...

That effect is GORGEOUS! Looking at the thumbnail on my blog, I thought, "Jane has been quilting!" Mixing threads will either open new vistas to explore or another can of worms depending on my mood... :)))
Ann

Anonymous said...

I have set it up as a background to my desktop. O

Sue

Creative Commons Licence

Happy Beaks

Happy Beaks
I beg your pardon? I didn't quite catch what you said.