22 November 2011

Catherine Wheel join

Another missing technique that I've sadly neglected for my 'tips and techniques' page is the Catherine Wheel Join.  To me it's always looked complicated.

Then while I was playing with the TIAS a week or two ago I thought I might need to use this join.  Since then plans have changed and it won't be needed!!!!  Life just gets simpler sometimes.
Well whilst I was fiddling around on the computer t'other day I decided that after all it might, just might be useful to be able to do.  Off went brain cell 3 to play.  First I had to learn how to do it myself.  YIKES.  Then I suddenly realised that although it's a slightly more fiddly join it is rather smart!!!

The main problem I've had with trying to do it before was that the explanations I'd found on the internet were a bit longer than my concentration span.  That lasts all of ten seconds, I might add.  So I decided to see if I could pare things down.  This is the result - with pictures, of course!!!  I must thank Georgia, Joelle, Adrian, Martha, Riet, Sally and Miranda for their input - all comments helped make this page.  I hope I haven't forgotten anybody but if I have please let brain cell 3 know and he'll pass the message on!!!!

8 comments:

IsDihara said...

I too have shied away from the Catharine Wheel join in spite of its advantages. Your diagram makes this technique look so much more approachable. (perhaps I am biased, since I have had so many successes using your instructions?)

Bonnie said...

WHAT did I miss something? I clearly read TIAS! YEAH

Thank you for clearing up the Catherine Wheel join, I never quite understood how to get shuttle 2's thread to the join area and not have S1's thread show, so I've always done a lock join. I'm going to have to give this a try.

Now back to the TIAS question....

Susie said...

This is the clearest and most concise explanation I have ever seen for this join. I use this join all the time because I work in variegated thread. I do try to remember to count this join as a stitch, since it looks like one, while a lock join is not usually counted. Some of the jewelry in Marilee Rockley's book needs this join to look right.

Marilee Rockley said...

Excellent illustration! As are all of yours are, Jane!
Oh, I love this join for when I want to outline a shape with a smooth curve.

Jane Eborall said...

Thanks, folks. I only started it cause of the TIAS and now I don't think I'll use it there!!! I did follow your instructions, yarnplayer but needed to do my own to add to the TIAS. Trust me to then not need it!!!! I wish I was better organised!!!!

Sharren - Tatting in Greenwood, South Carolina said...

Excellent illustration, as always! I, too, like this join - thanks for making it so clear!

Anonymous said...

Thankyou!

Ana said...

Thanks so much!!!! I was about to give up on the Catherine wheel join, but this really simplified the method. The illustrations did the trick. Thanks again.

Creative Commons Licence

Happy Beaks

Happy Beaks
I beg your pardon? I didn't quite catch what you said.