13 November 2012

Mystery solved!

The packet arrived yesterday!!  It was a miserable wet day so it was the only cheerful part of the day.  It was Miranda who'd sent the packet.  She'd asked me to make her a bag out of some fabric and we'd arranged for her to send it to me.  Now I was expecting a fat quarter for a bag!!!  

Wrong again, OG!!!  I should've known that the Americans live in a big country and have big hearts too.  It was a box FULL to the brim with goodies.  Lots of fabric and a million doodads plus some of Jess's wonderful HDT.

Thanks, Miranda - that'll keep me quiet for the next fifty years!!!

Oh, just to let anybody know who's interested.  Any package whether a gift or a purchase that is marked with a value of over £50.000 (or $80.00) incurs a customs charge when entering the UK.  Sender beware!!!!  I'm not telling people to lie over the value of any contents but it may be worth being parsimonious with the true value!!!  No, I didn't just say that - honest, me lud!!



12 comments:

Margarets designer cards said...

It's getting a bit much to post a small packet or parcel anywhere in the world and you have to say how much it's worth, only to find they have to pay duty on it when it arrives, I think there's someone somewhere who wants to stop trading, I thought this country wanted to boast trade and make us more profitable we can't do that when they penalise its citizens
Margaret

Miranda said...

If only I'd known, I would have packed it in two separate boxes with separate customs slips!

God's Kid said...

I see lots of pretty things in the future! :)

Sally Kerson said...

I agree the Americans have big hearts, a wonderful gift. Oh but the English customs are a real pain, been caught many a time by them.

Jane Eborall said...

Oh, Miranda, we live and learn and think how it kept old brain cell 3 busy all weekend wondering what was coming!!! Good idea about two separate packets, though.

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

What a great addition to your stash!

jennytats said...

Sorry Jane
You have got your figures wrong. You have to pay import V A T on anything over £15. I got caught with this when I ordered two CDs from Palmetto and had to pay £11 tax. It would have been much cheaper to have paid two lots of postage and then each parcel would have a smaller value. As they say we live and learn. I was older and wiser, but poorer

Jane Eborall said...

Well, jennytats, the lady at customs and excise told me it was anything over £50.00 - gift or not!!! Also included was Parcel Force's handling charge and then VAT!!! I found this link which may clarify things. http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/post/buying.htm#4 I think you were charged unfairly for your CD's. I would've put in a counter claim but I'm a so and so for claiming my rights!!!!

Ladytats said...

Christmas in November. good on you.

Jane McLellan said...

Super parcel, shame about the duty!

jennytats said...

Hi Jane, the reference you give htm#4 says £40 for gifts. Htm#3 says £15 for purchases

Jane Eborall said...

Well, jennytats, from past experience of both buying from the USA and being gifted things I think it's in the hands of the gods whether you get picked on or not. Well not gods, perhaps, just HMRC. I'm sure you were really unlucky with your CD's. I'll keep my fingers cross that it doesn't happen to you again. I had another box of goodies from America today with Aerlit shuttles in. A gift again but no customs interference this time!!!

Creative Commons Licence

Happy Beaks

Happy Beaks
I beg your pardon? I didn't quite catch what you said.