26 November 2013

What I tat

Somebody mentioned to me the other day that I only seem to tat my own patterns.  Well, that's not quite true as I do venture off to 'pastures new' and I do help out with test tatting quite frequently as well.  I'm also regularly tempted back to do things I tatted in my teens as those intrigue me.  They pull me back as I want to see if I still like them and also love to see them done in colours - there were no colours when I was a kid or a very limited selection!!!

I spent over thirty years tatting anything I could find before I started out on my own 'stuff'.  I also (sad to say) like the way I write patterns down and don't like old fashioned notation or some of the new ways when patterns are written using 'new' names for well known techniques.  'Just diagram' patterns annoy me intensely so those I avoid like the plague!!!

Another reason - I don't like to spend too much time looking at other designs is in case they influence me and inadvertently cause me to step on another person's toes!!!!

So, what to do next?  Well I'm playing.  Playing with something that I've been drawn towards for a month or so.  More later!!

9 comments:

Jenn said...

Sounds exciting :). Looking forward to see what you're working on :).

Maureen said...

That's why I love all your patterns - you give full and very clear directions, and the diagrams, for me, are rather like a roadmap - so that I can see where I'm up to!

Tally Tatty said...

Are you going to make a gekko zoo.

TotusMel said...

I with you on the fear of stepping on toes reason. I rarely even look too closely at other people's designs, particularly modern ones, for fear they will over influence me and I will become an inadvertent copy monster.

Nancy G said...

Jane, not only do I love your patterns and how you write then out adding diagrams, I love the technique page! Yesterday I did the little tree without a button. Well, from the page I learned how to do a picot at the beginning of a chain (without a paperclip). I have only tatted for 5 years but learning something new is so rewarding. Thank you, thank you, thank you for sharing as you do!

Jane Eborall said...

Thanks, everybody. This was only really meant as a sort of self analysis but having so few brain cells there wasn't much to analyse!!!!

Batty Tatter said...

We all love and admire you Jane. Your creativity is limitless. Anybody can make someone else s pattern, but someone who can create their own is worth their weight in gold. We also so appreciate that you share your wealth of information.

Sally Kerson said...

I love your patterns the best because I understand them, but that is probably because with have almost the same brain cells!! Something has got to run in the family!!

Kathy Niklewicz said...

Your computer drawings are works of art in themselves, and the written instructions even include front-side back-side tatting! You are most accommodating and have set a very high standard!

Creative Commons Licence

Happy Beaks

Happy Beaks
I beg your pardon? I didn't quite catch what you said.