14 April 2014

The start of another tatting adventure


This is going to be my relaxation project for a while. Probably for a few weeks as I'll always continue to have 'other things' on the go too.


Now, I'm NOT going to tell you what it is or where it comes from.  I'm going to challenge you all to tell me which pattern it is.  There may well be a prize at the end - something I've made probably OR a tatting leaflet or more.  We'll see.  The pattern does have a name, by the way and it isn't my design!!! 

I will tell you two things about it:-
1. It's going to be large.
2. It's going to be made with HWT - hand wound thread.

The plain colours of this project are reels of quilting thread that I found in a sewing shop in Cincinnati more years ago than I dare remember (see pictures below)!!!  The family was shopping in Krogers (think it was that store) when I sneaked off to the shop nearby.  Two or so years later on a return visit to Cincinnati I managed to sneak back there for more colours!!!  I did manage to sneak in the King Tut with the plain pink for this part!

Talk about value for money - doubt these reels will ever run out and I've used them loads of times for HWT.



15 comments:

Maureen said...

This will be fun to watch - I have no idea which pattern you're using, but I looked carefully at the joining picots, because I thought that HWT made those loose and obvious. Doesn't appear to be the case at all, so you must have wound the threads really tightly.

Jane Eborall said...

No, Maureen, not really. As long as they're wound together equally they don't have to be 'tight'.

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

I have no clue at this point, but your new adventure may just lead me to look through my tatting books again! I've never tried the Star thread, but I do love King Tut.

Pigmini said...

As I don't have many tatting books.... I'm going to pick a name at random from those that I know.... Jan Stawatz!! Probably waaaay off the mark, but still.... a girl (OG) has to try!! VBG

God's Kid said...

Absolutely gorgeous start and colors!!!! :)

Madtatter80 said...

I have no idea on the pattern but it is coming along beautifully like the choice!

Tally Tatty said...

Thee is something that I don't understand about this HWT. King Tut is not hand wound, is it? What do you mean?
I have a feeling that you are going to put up a good show!

Jane Eborall said...

Sorry, Tally Tatty I forgot to mention what HWT is. Stupid BC3 invented that word to cover winding two or three threads together onto a shuttle or working similar together onto a chain. This link may help explain it better. http://janeeborall.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/after-hdt-comes-hwt.html

Unknown said...

Oh I love those bright colors ! Will you give us a hint as to what it is? :)

Jane Eborall said...

In one word - NO!!!! Well, not yet as it's very early days!!!

Tally Tatty said...

Oh, I have done that before, but I have no BC3!

Maureen said...

I wondered whether it may have been something by Iris Niebach - because the very centre of it appears in several of her doily patterns, including Cornelia - but I can't see one that also has the green row.

Corina Meyfeldt said...

Guess I will use your HWT and point to your link from now on. It is what I use and it takes forever to write "100 polyester threas, strad of 3 or 4". And then to explain in the mesages. Curious to see how this new adventure ends.

Jane Eborall said...

With my daft sense of humour and having seen HDT around so long I came up with the HWT as a name for running threads together!!!! It made sense at the time and still does in a perverted sort of way!!!!!

Jenn said...

Thanks Jane for sharing/talking about HWT. I didn't know this was possible and will have to try it :).

Creative Commons Licence

Happy Beaks

Happy Beaks
I beg your pardon? I didn't quite catch what you said.