17 September 2020

The fingers to cuff glove progress

Wow this is a steep learning curve but I LOVE IT.  

The pattern (which can be found here)  uses an i-cord technique for the fingers but I quickly decided that I'd use my double pointed needles (which Terry in Canada helped me buy and which I love).  

You saw the fingers separately two days ago but then I had to find a second circular needle the same size as the one that Joanie had given me.  Eureka - I'd got one so no waiting for Amazon to send me one!!!  I'd NEVER seen this way of knitting with circular needles before - it's epic.

What I really, REALLY love about this pattern is the way the fingers are put together.  As those who knit gloves the 'right way round' (cuff to fingers) know it's always a struggle to avoid the gaping at the base of the fingers but NOT in this method.  It's just so darn clever as there's an ingenious way of criss crossing stitches to avoid it.

I'm hoping that with fair weather and the wind in my sails I'll have the first completed glove finished by tomorrow.  The second one should follow pretty quickly.


9 comments:

Pigmini said...

Great idea!! Loves it!!

Jane McLellan said...

I like the idea of knitting the fingers first. I have tried knitting with two circular needles and it didn't go well. I found there was a definite mark where I swapped needles. I prefer double pointed needles, much simpler for my simple brain!

Maureen said...

You can knit socks this way too, on two circular needles. I’ve never tried it myself.
Your gloves are looking good, now that the fingers are in place. What happens when you get to the thumb though? Has that been knitted at the same time as the fingers?

Jane Eborall said...

I haven’t noticed an issue yet, Jane, but will be watching myself to make sure I don’t get a mark. I like using dpn’s but it was a matter of learning how the pattern works before I use them on the hand part!!!
I guess you can, Maureen. I must try that sometime. The thumb gets knitted in further down the hand and in the ‘right place’ too - not stuck on the side!!!

God's Kid said...

Fabulous!! :)

Tim Kaylor said...

You know you are killing me. I have several things to finish tatting (Beatrix included) and now I want to do this. Plus I am still trying to learn continental style knitting. Can I buy a couple dozen hours to add to each day?

Jane Eborall said...

Well, Tim, don’t expect ME to sell you extra hours!! I need every one I’ve got for myself!!!

linb54 said...

I've wondered if this was possible, but never tried it before. thank you very much for the link on how to fo it!!! Linda in Virginia. :)

Jane Eborall said...

Well, Linda, it was really thanks to Mary who put me onto the glove idea!!!!

Creative Commons Licence

Happy Beaks

Happy Beaks
I beg your pardon? I didn't quite catch what you said.