8 June 2021

Maybe my next sewing project?

I made a few of these bobbin holders last year when I realised that the Dreamlit shuttle was here to stay in my life.  I really do like this shuttle as it holds LOADS of thread and works well.  Brings back memories of my teenage years as that was when I last used a post shuttle.  As you know the post shuttles came before the bobbin ones and they weren't in the shops until I was probably in my late teens/early twenties.

Again the age old 'problem' with bobbin shuttles is storing the 'not in use' bobbins without either losing them (which is what I'm SO good at) or without ends of threads tangling (I rarely leave excess thread on shuttles - I always wind those bits back onto the ball.  In the bottom photo you can see one bobbin with thread on and I usually leave a little of it sticking out when I close the holder - just cause I'm lazy and can readily see what colour is on the bobbin.  

Anyway I've shown you the bobbin holder I made for them back in May last year but now I'm thinking of making more.  What do you think?  Should I make more? They are fiddly to make and it's a pain sewing on the press studs but I think they work much better than velcro.  


5 comments:

Sue Mc said...

Hi. Do you need the flap and snaps? What if you left it open at the top, having the back a little taller than the front.

Jane Eborall said...

Good ideas, Sue Mc and I’ll think about those. I do like to keep bobbins securely in their little holders so that they don’t slip back out when I fling them in my travelling bag. Thanks for taking the trouble to offer your ideas.

God's Kid said...

I am sure other bobbin shuttle users would probably love them!! :)

Anonymous said...

Would it be less fiddly if you made them larger - more pockets for bobbins or maybe some other way to make them larger....? I still haven't tried these shuttles, but I find them interesting to consider using....
StephanieW

Jane Eborall said...

I guess I could, Stephanie but if I made them larger the bobbins would move around inside them and they would unwind themselves. I use the ones I made for myself a lot and they work well. Just a bit fiddly to make but heck, isn’t tatting fiddly too?!?!?! I really like these shuttles and thoroughly recommend giving them a whirl. As all shuttles they take some getting used to but well worth it. They hold a lot more thread than the Aero/Aerlit.

Creative Commons Licence

Happy Beaks

Happy Beaks
I beg your pardon? I didn't quite catch what you said.