16 August 2021

Monday Moan - please save the planet

So today I'm going to moan about patterns.  

So what really, really BUGS me is the people who are producing pages and pages of 'paper' to write down their patterns when the same thing could be done in 3 - 4 pages at the most.  

Then they charge for the pattern and leave the customer to have to pay out even more to print out all those pages.  Lots of patterns I see for sale are many pages long (often into double figures) with HUGE font and waaaaay to many pictures.  Please, please, please let's resolve this 'my pattern has got to be big and fancy so people think they've got value' mentality and aim for clear, concise instructions.

Remember, people, a pattern is merely instructions on how to achieve the finished piece and NOT a tutorial on every step taken to get there.  Those parts are techniques and not the pattern.  It can also confuse the person working the item because they've learned another way to do certain techniques.  

I suggest that before buying a 'digital download' you check how many pages you are committing to printing out (contact the seller and ask for a sample page too) and whether some of those pages are merely 'headers' with nothing more than the designer's and pattern's name on.  

Can we please try to save the planet for our kids and grandkids.  I'm so looking forward to your comments on this moan.  

Now for a picture to cheer you up!  A Motmot bird.


7 comments:

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

There are times when I need lots of visuals to help me understand a pattern. Those patterns are stored on my iPad where I can use the markup function to keep track of what I've done. I'm too cheap to print out multi-page patterns!

Jane Eborall said...

We all need visuals, Diane and that’s fine. It’s the patterns that show every little movement of the hand which I’m talking about!!! Some almost tell you when the writer has just ‘passed wind’!!!! Like you I use the markup function. Best thing ever invented.

dani, the geek said...

yeah, not only don't i print those, i have been known to copy out the relevant parts and make my own simple version. on the last lace & cable knitting pattern with options for many sizes i bought, i made myself a google spreadsheet and copied out just the charts i needed...

Jane Eborall said...

I would do the same, Dani. In fact with a lot of pdf files you can select the text, copy and paste into a word document then ‘play’ with the text to get rid of the unwanted stuff. Great idea about the spreadsheet. I’ll be trying that in future too!

Jane McLellan said...

There are a lot of online recipes like that too. I clicked print the other day and it said 17 pages. No no no, I just searched out the relevant bit and printed that. Sometimes with recipes and patterns I just scribble what I need.

Bernice said...

I try not to print out digital files. The last one I purchased I just drew my own pattern/picture to slip into my project bag. Sometimes I just have the file on my phone to refer to if needed but I agree with you. Save a tree

Judith Connors said...

Amen! Amen!

Creative Commons Licence

Happy Beaks

Happy Beaks
I beg your pardon? I didn't quite catch what you said.