26 June 2023

Josephine ring/picot

Now why oh why didn’t I think of trying this out before?  

As regular readers will know I'm not that 'fond' of Josephine rings - well, not the traditional way of making them by using just the first half or just the second half of the double knot and so many years ago (14, I believe) I discovered this way of making them and abandoned the traditional way forever!!!  I've no idea where the idea came from - probably one of my older books and I've no idea if it's got a special name either.  Perhaps somebody 'out there' will know the answer!!

I find that the actual JR sits much better if this method is used so that's the way I always do mine!!  I'm old, stubborn, but know what I like and don't like!!!

A few days ago I actually got thinking about it again as I caught a glimpse of a comment online so this made me wonder what the 'bottom' jp method would look like if I did the bottom idea but made picots!!  So would these be picots on picots (jp's)?  I tried it out and here's the result.

The picture at the top was scanned using 300dpi (dots per inch) and the bottom one is 600dpi.

Can you see how that lovely twist really 'perks up' the technique?  I can 'see' earwigs made out of this idea!!!!




4 comments:

Jane McLellan said...

I've been using josephine knots for my lavender, perhaps I ought to try your method. I did read the instructions the other day and they kind of boggled my mind, but perhaps in practice they're easier than they sound!

Jane Eborall said...

I’m sorry to have contributed to your mind boggles, Jane!!! Actually they are very easy. Just think about doing the second half of the ds at the bottom of the hand then slipping it to the top!!!

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

I do like the texture. I think I'll give it a try!

Debra said...

Oooh I love this Jane!!

Creative Commons Licence

Happy Beaks

Happy Beaks
I beg your pardon? I didn't quite catch what you said.