15 May 2023

The next project!!

Well this and yet another project are now 'on the go'!!!

After the huge success of this jacket I decided to make another but this time with squares.

I'd got an old fleece which I rarely wore (the black one in the picture below) and which will hopefully make a warmer piece of clothing. The original is a Spring/Autumn weight and I wear it a LOT. I'm often stopped by people who say they love the jacket - complete strangers (we get a lot of tourists in the town) and it always pleases me no end. Specially when I point out it's homemade and onto an old shirt. 

Here's a few pictures to show you where I'm at as I started this new one a couple of weeks ago. 

The first picture is the fabric for the back completed. Then there's work in progress and finally the 'original' fleece. The thing with doing this sort of project is to not plan too far ahead!!! After my last jacket I thought I'd make all the fabric first this time and then fit it over the fleece. I may top stitch over the squares but I'm not sure yet. Any advice would be VERY welcome!!!




8 comments:

Maureen said...

The old black jacket will certainly have a new lease of life when you’ve finished with it!
How do you avoid puckers and creases! The squares are woven cotton, the jacket is fleecy. Will it lose it’s “ give” once it’s covered with fabric?
The first jacket you did was an old shirt, it wouldn’t have been an issue in that case.

Jane Eborall said...

The answer, dear Maureen, is I don’t know!!! I did a gilet over a sleeveless fleece and that worked well. As for the pockets - I think I’ll make the patchwork fabric then actually stitch it (with tacking thread) onto the fleece rather than ‘lay it over’. I’ll then cut slots and make plackets for the pockets - probably!!! This is an adventure where the finished item may well be a true disaster but meantime I’m enjoying just making the fabric!!!

Jane McLellan said...

A lot of work, but it will certainly spruce up that rather boring fleece!

God's Kid said...

I am sure it will be great!! :)

Rose Anne B said...

WOW you're giving me ideas for some items I'm not keen on! Give it a face lift and might be a new love again?
But seriously, I think you'll have to quilt it to the fleece or maybe tie tack with floss OR sew buttons at some corners, that would be interesting!

GoldenMom said...

I think I would do a top stitch when you've added the cotton squares to the fleece. I think if you do a stitch in the ditch (along each square's side), it will give it more texture and also avoid those problems with adding the cotton to the fleece. Looks like it will be a lovely new jacket!

Jane Eborall said...

That’s a good idea GoldenMom. I’d thought of stitching each side of the ditch and/or zigzagging in the ditch but not thought of that. It needs something to break it up and define each square. Thank you.

Jane Eborall said...

Another good idea, Rose Anne B. I’m sure you’re right. I’ll have to wait and see how it goes together later on in the process!!!!

Creative Commons Licence

Happy Beaks

Happy Beaks
I beg your pardon? I didn't quite catch what you said.