21 August 2023

Finding an old friend again

Some years ago the library in Stratford decided to start up a craft group which I thought was a great idea.  I toddled along and quickly made new crafty friends.  Sadly one died since then but I still see one of them around the town from time to time.
Now in that group was an elderly (by that I mean EVEN older than me) lady who was a really, really avid crafter.  Sadly she doesn't get out much nowadays and I lost touch with her.  Often thought about her as she was so much into her craft work.  

A few weeks ago she got in touch with me which was GREAT.  She offered me the shuttles you can see below.  I went round to her place to pick them up and found her looking really well and surrounded by 'crafts in progress' including one that she was working on in the library!!!  

Sadly the craft group petered out - I think the time of the day it was meeting might've had something to do with that.  Who knows.  Most people want their lunch at 1 o'clock - not to go crafting!!!

I'm intrigued by the bone shuttle with the name on.  I think it says 'Walker'.  




13 comments:

Jane McLellan said...

Kind of her to pass them on to you - she knows they'll be appreciated. Yes, that does seem like an odd time for a craft meeting! I guess it fits in with the library routine more than it does with the crafters'.

Anonymous said...

Lovely gift of some classic shuttles. Is there another letter in front of WALKER ?

Anonymous said...

H Walker I’d say…

Lavinia said...

It's always nice to reconnect with friends. Very nice of her to give the shuttles to you! Maybe she can tell you a bit more about them?

Jane Eborall said...

Yes it could be an H in front of the Walker. I wonder who it was, though. I will ask her if she knows, Lavinia.

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

It's so nice that you were able to reconnect! I hope that I am able to pass my shuttles on to someone who will appreciate them.

Lelia said...

Forever crafty friends! Delighted you have her shuttles, and will give them a good home.
Enjoy the day and thanks for sharing.

Rose Anne B said...

WOW!!! Awesome to reconnect and maybe future tea visits?

GoldenMom said...

Wow! Double bonus. You were able to see your friend again and find out that she's still doing well. PLUS, that gift of those precious shuttles is wonderful. No doubt you'll put them to good use. I especially like the bone one too.

GoldenMom said...

Forgot to mention that I have one almost identical to the black one in your photo. I bought mine in a little shop in a Swiss village many, many years ago (probably 40+ years ago).

Jane Eborall said...

The black one is a Milward shuttle and they were made a few miles away from where I live. The first shuttles I could buy were those. I used to buy them with my pocket money when I was a kid and I still love them.

GoldenMom said...

I love mine too, and always considered it special since I found it in Europe so many years ago. ;-) Interesting that they were made a few miles away from you. I still have the cardboard and the little hook that came with it too!

Jane Eborall said...

Ah, GoldenMom - I lost many a hook down the side of many a sofa!!!!

Creative Commons Licence

Happy Beaks

Happy Beaks
I beg your pardon? I didn't quite catch what you said.