18 October 2009

More about the Elgiva Nicholls book.


Isdihara put a comment on yesterday's post about wanting more information about the contents of the Elgiva book.  Sorry, folks, I just assumed that everybody knew about my hero's work!!!! 

The book I'm selling on ebay is not really a 'pattern book' as we know them today - BUT she does explain in detail how she makes the elements of the flowers, leaves etc.  A fantastic resource for designers.  The thistle instructions are particularly intriguing.  So I guess these are patterns but just not written the way we would today!!  The book is a wonderful source of inspiration and one which I'm forever taking out to look at for ideas.

Elgiva was a forerunner of our 'modern' HDT ideas as much as her research and innovative ideas.  She told me that she dyed her own threads when I met her in 1976 - aren't they pretty?  I saw the one on the left in 'real time'.  She gives instructions on how she dyed her threads at the end of the book.  Also tips on assembling and mounting work.

Please ask for further information if you need it.  Below are just two of the pictures from the book.  There are two further colour plates and several black and white.  



4 comments:

Gina said...

None of her books are pattern books, they are largely technique and exploration. I didn't realize she had a 3rd one. Older, but with more color it appears. What a great book to have!

Unknown said...

What a lovely treasure for someone.

Fox said...

That is a lovely collector's item! Not many around, I'll wager!
Fox : )

Mauricio Bernal. fashion designer haute couture said...

much I love your blog. really is wonderful, and also recently acquired good this book is charming ... thank you very much

Creative Commons Licence

Happy Beaks

Happy Beaks
I beg your pardon? I didn't quite catch what you said.